Request for comments: Dataview `TASK` support

I’m currently looking into adding support for Dataview TASK queries.

If you’re one of the people waiting for that: What exactly are you looking for in this feature? I would like to learn what your use case would be.

Thanks!

Hi @czottmann, I am waiting for TASK queries to transfer tasks to calendar. In this case, these following items would be useful from my side:

• Getting tasks from a specific note, include original tasks and the result of tasks query in this note.
  • Getting properties of a task, like scheduled date, start and end timestamp.

I’ve spent the day looking into support for TASK queries, and let’s just say it’s not as straightforward as I suspected it to be, i.e. due to cross-referencing of tasks, sub-tasks, the possibility of grouping, etc.

To be honest, this ↑ combined with the number of people requesting it (= one, hi @zhou7777777!) makes me think that this feature will not be used much by my customers, and therefore I doubt that implementing it is a good use of my time.

So, I’ve decided to put it on ice for the time being. I might add it at some point in the future but that time is not now.

Sorry, and I hope you’ll understand. I’m open to comments and suggestions, of course.

My usecase would be to have an automation on iOS which shows me my due tasks for the day. I have to admit I do not manage to open/create my daily note as a first step every day so this will push me a little bit back on track for the day :wink:

Hi all. My usecase would be to implement push of tasks from Obsidian (which I use for note taking, including action items) into Omnifocus (which I use for task management). Without this I am left in attempting to parse the note as text, which is a real pity…