Invoking with siri

I’m trying to simply daily logging by invoking shortcuts with NFC tags and by voice with siri. NFC seems to work as expected, but invoking with siri (I have a shortcut called “daily log”, invoked with “hey siri daily log”) doesn’t complete. it seems the obsidian portion is working, but calling back to AfO switches to AfO and sits at a black screen instead of returning control to the shortcut which eventually times out. the shortcut consists of an append to note between two vibrates, barebones and always seems to fail in the same way. the same “daily log” shortcut works perfectly via NFC or tapping on the shortcut. as far as I can tell from the obsidian side logging, Actions URI is handling things correctly and calling back with the parameters i’d expect. unsure what to try next.

Welcome to the forum, @gbritton!

You’re right, and it’s a bit weird. Invoking a workflow using Siri is done differently from tapping a button or NFC tag, and at the moment the app doesn’t correctly detect it is the last block in a workflow, and just sits there instead of adhering to your “end of workflow” configuration – but that happens only when the workflow was started via Siri. But there shouldn’t be any differences, iOS ought to treat them the same. :man_shrugging:t2:

That said: I’ve put a big fat todo item on my list for v2024.2, and I hope I’ll be able find a workaround.

For the time being, you could add a “Go to Home Screen” action to the end of the shortcut, after the AFO action.

I second this. I’m primarily using Actions for Obsidian on Mac, but for consistency I am setting it up on my iPhone as well. When on my iPhone, I will name all Shortcuts to be useable with Siri, and I don’t ever want to have to open the Shortcuts app to trigger a shortcut. I’m getting this same bug. Right now the workaround is just to swipe over from AFO to Obsidian after the black screen hangs. I did notice that putting a final “Open Obsidian” action after the final AFO action does not work or do anything to get past the black screen.

Fortunately, I’m doing the bulk of my Shortcuts including AFO, Session, and Reminders on my Mac with Keyboard Maestro key commands to jump me into various Reminders lists and/or start Sessions (pomodoro) for those projects and landing me on a corresponding Reminders list/ Obsidian note, which works fine. And in this case AFO for iOS seems to do the rest of what it’s supposed to (a lot of jumping back/forth to AFO screen), and it at least can get me to the proper note from the Siri command only to have to swipe over at the end. Better than having to dig through Obsidian for various notes sometimes.

Welcome to the forum, @Mike – and again, sorry about those issues.

1 Like

I understand. Hopefully you can get it fixed. Otherwise it’s a good idea and good app. Nice job. Still playing with it.

1 Like