TestFlight Alpha (0.1.0 build 1933)

Dear Testers,

I’ve just deployed the new TestFlight Alpha, please take a look. The goal is the same as with the last buildI want to get the next TF phase going, and I would like you to kick the tires and tell me if you find anything that’s not working or hilariously broken.

Here’s what’s new in this build:

• Onboarding/setup:

• I’ve made the whole thing less wordy, put a number of details in accordion elements (closed but can be opened), and tried to be less Shakespearean :sweat_smile:

• The setup workflow should now behave better, as it brings the app back to the front when necessary, and it uses dialogs instead of notifications (as Shortcuts was suppressing those most of the time).

• Once the setup is successfully done, its button will be less prominent now. Thanks to @leif for the suggestion!

• The licensing tab now explains that in TF, everything is “pretend money”, and nobody will be charged.

• Feedback mails now contain the most recently seen browser versions which will make it easier to give support when necessary.

• The Docs tab of the main app contains links to all action documentation.

• Actions:

Also, there’s documentation for all the actions now!

Please re-run the setup. The permission dialogs will likely not pop up again, but I’d like to know whether the rest of the onboarding is better and working. Thank you!

If nothing major comes up, I’d like to start TestFlight Beta soon for the mailing list subscribers. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again for testing,
Carlo

Sweet! I’m still new to this forum, I don’t think I’ve gotten a link for the alpha? Maybe I actually have, but I don’t know where to look :upside_down_face:

It was sent to the address you used to sign up for the forum. I can resend it if you like!

Can you please resend it in that case? I must have lost it somewhere, I have way too many emails going around :sweat_smile: Shouldn’t have added my work account to Mail

It’s on its way. You should get it in the next 10 minutes but if not, it might be filtered out by the Apple Private Relay. In that case you could send me a non-relayed address via private message if you like.

Oh, it didn’t occur to me it might be getting filtered. I still haven’t received it, so I’ll send you a DM.

Apple doesn’t want me to experience this app because it would embarrass them :crazy_face:

I don’t know why Apple would block TestFlight invites coming through their Private Relay, yet here we are. :man_shrugging:t2:

Me neither, it makes no sense :man_shrugging:

Hi all,
Suddenly I was able to install the Alpha on my second Mac (an Air M1), which TestFlight previously refused to do because of a used token. So I was able to install the fresh Alpha version. Before that, I also tried to uninstall the old Alpha on my MacBookPro (M1), according to the files and folder listed below, but it doesn’t work. There seems to be something left over (e.g. the call number was still displayed). Any idea? I tried a VM as you suggested, but with Parallels it’s not possible to log in to an iCloud account on an M1 Mac.

1. /Applications/Browser Actions.app
2. /Users/leif/Library/Containers/co.zottmann.BrowserActions 
3. /Users/leif/Library/Containers/co.zottmann.BrowserActions.Runner
4. /Users/leif/Library/Group Containers/group.X2WK5Z9VR5.co.zottmann.BrowserActions
5. /Users/leifjp/Library/Application Scripts/co.zottmann.BrowserActions.Runner
co.zottmann.BrowserActions
6. /Users/leifjp/Library/Application Scripts/co.zottmann.BrowserActions
group.X2WK5Z9VR5.co.zottmann.BrowserActions

Setup dialog

First time starting

Works better with the default button, but there is still some visual noise. I think you’re using the arrow to indicate the next action, so it’s now visually coded twice.

The part below the default button is not useful at this point. You also couldn’t show it if the setup wasn’t done. However, there are alignment issues with the text fields and the center alignment of the buttons.

Setup is done

After the setup is done, the setup tab is not important anymore. So you could think about starting with the “Buy License” tab, where the user will find the useful information about the trial period and the purchase button, which could be more prominent if it’s a default button.

I am already wondering in the “Actions for Obsidian” app why you display the number of calls. During the free trial period, it could be valuable information for the potential buyer to see how often it was used. But later on I don’t see any value for the counter and I’m not sure if I’ve seen such a feature anywhere else.

Set up screen 1

Not sure if the accordion makes sense in this step. For me, just the hint that “Browser Actions” needs to be set up to make some adjustments would be enough. Any other explanation could be move active setup step.

But if you want to stay with this screen, I don’t see the need to use the accordion here. The details are compact and the screen is big enough to read without scrolling. Ultimately, this also depends on the user base you are doing this development for.

Here’s a little rewording, but I’m still not a document developer, nor is my English good:

To enable "Browser Actions", which extend Apple Shortcuts with functionality to interact with your installed browsers, there are some settings required which will be done during this setup:

1. Enable the control of UI elements in the Mac system preferences.
2. Create a folder and permissions for temporary writing, executing and deleting of AppleSripts.
3. Enable the execution of "Javascript for Apple Events" in each browser you want to use.

Maybe you could put some privacy and security disclaimers in an accordion below this

Setup screen 2

Use a smaller picture (e.g. the windows could be overlapped) to avoid scrolling. You can also win some space by reorder the buttons side by side. If there is no plan to make translations e.g. in German which need at least 1/3 more space.

Naming: For you it’s the runner or helper app, for the user it’s “Browser Actions (Runner).app” ;-). It should be renamed as app or it should be written with its real name in the text.

Write the warning about Apple’s bad behavior not displaying extensions in this box in red text or in a call out.

I like the “Notes about this step” accordion and the content, but a click on the label should also open the accordion. Currently it’s only possible to click on the “>”. A bug on any screen with an accordion.

By the way, I already expierenced this in the first tested version. The first time I dropped the helper app into the list, nothing happened, mainly the security popup didn’t appear. The second attempt was successful. I’m sure I dropped the item inside the target frame.

Setup Screen 3/4

The install button should be rendered as the default button. I’m a fan of consistency :wink:

This step works fine, but it’s still weird to go back and launch the shortcut app again. In this case I also see no need to open the action in edit mode. Isn’t it enough to reactivate the Shortcut app window and just run it on the “Browser Action Setup” tile? Positive side effect: Running the script from the tile will also show a progress bar.

When running the script, the file chooser opens with the co.zottman.BrowserActions.Runner folder already open. But in the popup title there is the text: “Please select the folder User→ …”. This makes no sense because the user is already there. Shouldn’t the text be “Press the Select Script Folder - Button”?

Nice to go back to the Browser Actions dialog when the script is done.

Why not put the status (the green success icons) at the top of this screen when everything is done. Currently, it is somehow hidden below information that is not so important anymore.

Is there a need for a hint that this setup should be run again, e.g. when a new browser is installed?

Setup Screen 5

The information is helpful, especially the link to the document. But this step could use a little more notice about privacy and security concerns. Will this opening not also allow javascript attacks from an external website, or will it only be javascripts executed from local AppleScript events? I really have no idea.

One last thought

Why did you name this app: Browser Actions and your other app Actions for Obsidian? As mentioned above, I love consistency :wink:

So now I will start to look at the new documentation and try out some of the endless possibilities.

Thanks, @leif! That’s a lot of input, I’m happy about all of it, but I’ll just pick out the most important parts if that’s okay :sweat_smile:

The granted permissions are stored in a system-protected SQLite database which can’t be written to unless you deactivate SIP (System Integrity Protection), which, unless you’re a dev, you shouldn’t do, and even if you are, you should only do temporarily.

I tried a VM as you suggested, but with Parallels it’s not possible to log in to an iCloud account on an M1 Mac

Infuriatingly correct, for some inane reason Apple does not allow iCloud sign-ins from a VM.

First time starting

[…]

You have a point, it’s unnecessary to point to Shortcuts unless the setup is done!

Setup is done

After the setup is done, the setup tab is not important anymore. So you could think about starting with the “Buy License” tab, where the user will find the useful information about the trial period and the purchase button, which could be more prominent if it’s a default button.

I’ve reduced the size of the “Re-run setup” button but I want to keep it around — the list of installed browsers might change, or a later version might require customers to run the setup again.

The tab’s existence and the tab order won’t change based on app state. I find stuff like that confusing, so I try to avoid it in my own apps. :wink: In the next build, the label will read “Home” instead of “Setup” once setup is done, though.

I am already wondering in the “Actions for Obsidian” app why you display the number of calls. During the free trial period, it could be valuable information for the potential buyer to see how often it was used. But later on I don’t see any value for the counter and I’m not sure if I’ve seen such a feature anywhere else.

Don’t underestimate the appeal of vanity counters. In my experience, “I’ve used this thing N-thousand times” is a) productivity candy for a lot of people and b) can be a good post-purchase validation (“I’ve made a good decision”). See Alfred’s usage stats etc.

Set up screen 1

Not sure if the accordion makes sense in this step. […]

Yes, I agree. On the one hand, I’d like to inform the user about the big picture and what needs to be done, on the other hand, I don’t want to present a wall of text for those who aren’t interested in the technical details. Hmm. I’ll think of something, thank you.

Set up screen 2

[…] If there is no plan to make translations e.g. in German which need at least 1/3 more space.

There will be localization at some point.

Naming: For you it’s the runner or helper app, for the user it’s “Browser Actions (Runner).app” ;-). It should be renamed as app or it should be written with its real name in the text.

Very good point!

Setup Screen 3/4

This step works fine, but it’s still weird to go back and launch the shortcut app again. In this case I also see no need to open the action in edit mode. Isn’t it enough to reactivate the Shortcut app window and just run it on the “Browser Action Setup” tile? Positive side effect: Running the script from the tile will also show a progress bar.

I figured it’s better to see what’s going on. Also, this way the folder picker has a visual anchor, it’s not just floating around. EVERYONE ELSE: Do you have an opinion on this?

Is there a need for a hint that this setup should be run again, e.g. when a new browser is installed?

Yes, and it’ll have its place on the “Home” tab.

Setup Screen 5

The information is helpful, especially the link to the document. But this step could use a little more notice about privacy and security concerns. Will this opening not also allow javascript attacks from an external website, or will it only be javascripts executed from local AppleScript events?

Re “notice”: I agree. But it’s a local thing only: AppleScript is allowed to run JS in the browser, it doesn’t work the other way around.

One last thought

Why did you name this app: Browser Actions and your other app Actions for Obsidian? As mentioned above, I love consistency :wink:

JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU HEAR THE NAME OF MY NEXT APP!!!1 :joy:

No, I agree, but “Actions for Browsers” sounds awkward, and I might –just might!– rename AFO at some point to unify the naming. Back then, I’ve picked “Actions for Obsidian” because I didn’t want to make “Obsidian” the first part of the name to avoid confusion with Obsidian itself.

Thanks!

These were just some ideas and comments. It’s fine if it’s helpful, if not ignore them

Setup is done

I’ve reduced the size of the “Re-run setup” button but I want to keep it around — the list of installed browsers might change, or a later version might require customers to run the setup again.

The tab’s existence and the tab order won’t change based on app state. I find stuff like that confusing, so I try to avoid it in my own apps. :wink: In the next build, the label will read “Home” instead of “Setup” once setup is done, though.

Definitely, the tab is still important. My point was just it’s not so important after the setup was done. But I understand your point of the not changing the app state.

See Alfred’s usage stats etc.

oh, never saw this, will look for it. But this is really minor thing, just a side note

Set up screen 1

Not sure if the accordion makes sense in this step. […]

Yes, I agree. On the one hand, I’d like to inform the user about the big picture and what needs to be done, on the other hand, I don’t want to present a wall of text for those who aren’t interested in the technical details. Hmm. I’ll think of something, thank you.

My comment was about the accordion, not about the information. The amount of text in both parts are not a wall of text anymore. Also it’s possible to combine both texts parts (my little attempt), so there is no need for the accordion anymore. At the end it in this case it’s adds complexity., without a (big) benefit

Setup Screen 3/4

I figured it’s better to see what’s going on. Also, this way the folder picker has a visual anchor, it’s not just floating around. EVERYONE ELSE: Do you have an opinion on this?

Maybe because I re-run the setup several times and the stepping happens only the first time, before everything is setup. For me one line with the an error message icon always catches my attention when running that script

Setup Screen 5

The information is helpful, especially the link to the document. But this step could use a little more notice about privacy and security concerns. Will this opening not also allow javascript attacks from an external website, or will it only be javascripts executed from local AppleScript events?

Re “notice”: I agree. But it’s a local thing only: AppleScript is allowed to run JS in the browser, it doesn’t work the other way around.

Ok, I wasn’t sure about this, so a note would at last for me helpful.

One last thought

JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU HEAR THE NAME OF MY NEXT APP!!!1 :joy:

No, I agree, but “Actions for Browsers” sounds awkward, and I might –just might!– rename AFO at some point to unify the naming. Back then, I’ve picked “Actions for Obsidian” because I didn’t want to make “Obsidian” the first part of the name to avoid confusion with Obsidian itself.

Naming is an awful thing, I know. Again not important, bit this is how it looks like when I use Alfred for starting the app:

Thanks!

Your are welcome!

Ooooooh… I never thought about that effect :flushed:

I’ve finetuned the onboarding some more. One less button now, and the workflow is not opened in the editor before running, dialogs give an indication what’s going on, one less screenshot. NOW I’m happy with it. Massive thanks to you guys for helping me make it shine :yellow_heart:

And I think this concludes TestFlight Alpha. Now on to the next round — inviting all the mailing list subscribers :tada: